Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Response to Rob - Revisited

Nothing happens for 3 weeks, I finally post and what happens? I need to post again.

To start, I gotta go back to a post by Rob from a while back (early December to be exact), wherein he asked why female superhero movies tended to have little to no crityical success. My response basically centered on, as Rob so aptly put it, the depth of commitment to a project -- someone who loves the source material will do a good job, and the people involved with these projects up to that point were not as wholly committed as they needed to be.


Well, I heard some good news on that front this morning, and it’s got two parts:


Joss Whedon is attached to Wonder Woman. Yay! A female superhero from the creator and driving force behind Buffy? Excellent. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, next to Aaron Sorkin, this guy is one of my favorite people in show biz. I now have very high hopes for the project ‘cause I’m not really aware of anything he’s worked on sucking. Okay, not everyone liked Titan AE, and Alien 4 wasn’t spectacular, but still. And according to IMDB, the guy worked on the screenplay for TOY STORY?? Mr. Sorkin, make some room on the potium, we have a tie.


Up to this point, it seems there was a particular actress in mind for the role of Wonder Woman:


As Joshua Malina is to Aaron Sorkin, it seems Charisma Carpenter is to Joss Whedon. The woman was in both Buffy and Angel, and if I recall, she may have been up for a role in Firefly, but they got someone else. But the woman is not only a pretty good actress, but she is quite the looker. She’d make a pretty good WW. And she wants it. Word is she’s been putting off having a baby for this role. But there may be some competition from the likes of…


Kate frikin’ Beckinsdale! Oh, yeah! ‘Cause skintight wet black leather wasn’t enough to make her one of the absolutley hottest women alive, we gotta see her in the WW costume! And it certainly doesn’t hurt that she’s got some chops as an actress and can be a huge box office draw. And c’mon – she’s already been a Hero!*


So Rob, it seems we have a test case. If this one fails, I’d be at a complete loss.


*Bwahahahaha!! I made a Much Ado About Nothing joke! When was the last time you heard one of those??
=====


And in an unrelated NFL side note, the Tennessee Titans told Steve McNair to go home. He showed up at their facility for offseason training, and basically scooted him out the door, a possible prelude to either a trade or his outright release. They guy carries a $9 million cap hit and he's only so durable nowadays.

The Titans are holding the 3rd pick in the draft, Reggie Bush is expected to be taken 1st, and the Saints signed a high-priced QB a few weeks ago. Any coincidence that this comes soon after USC's pro day? Any coincidence that Norm Chow, the Titan's current offensive coordinator was USCs offensive coordinator when Matt Leinart won a Heisman and 2 National Championships?

5 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

I would be surprised if Carpenter got the role. There was some real acrimony between her and Whedon during the last years of Angel. Beckinsale has the benefit of a more established name, anyway.

I do agree that this is going to be a major test case, although I don't know if the comic strip has the weight required to make a good movie.

Tue Apr 04, 04:29:00 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

You see, she may be willing to put off a baby now. That was not the case during the pivotal 4th season of Angel, which necessitated thereby a lot of emergency plot adjustments.

Tue Apr 04, 04:32:00 PM  
Blogger Chang Kim said...

I liked Underworld. That doesn't really count as a superhero movie, but still...

Is there any question that Aaron Sorkin's next project, with Matthew Perry, is gonna be great? How can anyone tie him? American President, A Few Good Men, Sports Night, and West Wing! Untouchable.

Tue Apr 04, 07:28:00 PM  
Blogger Drewby said...

Rob - I could see where they could make enough for the movie. Her Amazon roots. Her travel to the New World. Think kinda Batman Begins. But I don't even know if she has a nemisis.

And yeah, I could see KB getting studio support at least. Plus, this would be pretty big time for CC, should she land it, whereas Angel was coming to a close.

Chang - I didn't know about Toy Story before now. And I really liked Buffy and Firefly. You're right, though - maybe I got a little carried away. And Amanda Peet may join MP on Studio 7!

Tue Apr 04, 08:34:00 PM  
Blogger Chang Kim said...

I thought Amanda Peet was confirmed. It's gonna be great, I'm sure.

Anyway, I really just wanted to give you props for an excellent choice of KB photo.

Tue Apr 04, 10:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home