Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Loose Ends

So there're a coupla things I need to close up here, and I figured I'd just take care of them at once.

The Last Word on Rent


As it turns out, my last words on the subject could very well be my first words on the subject. I wrote a quick assesment of my conception of musicals before I saw Rent and I have to say I was pretty close.


There were some good times. There were a few times where the singing actually made the moment, and that’s not unexpected. There were some times where I thought, “This could only really credibly take place in a musical.”


But for the most part, I found the whole thing to be melodramatic, condscending and maybe a little hypocrytical.
--Didn’t like Angel (archetypes, in general, upset me, and literal ones are even worse).
--What was with Tom? Are ya James Bond? “Tom. Tom Collins?” Really? He was very overly affected.
--And what was with the general fascination with Santa Fe?
--There wasn’t a real story, and I always felt sorry for the little blonde kid. Someone please give that guy a hug! He was like Snoopy, but without Woodstock – the quiet center of the whole shebang, but always alone.
--And the general attitude that “artists” are “better” was kinda annoying.


Okay. All done there.



"I Feel So... Un-syat-isfied"

(to channel KGB)

Ladies and gentleman… the Houston Dynamo?


“Dynamo is a word to describe someone who never fatigues, never gives up," said team president and general manager Oliver Luck. "The new name is symbolic of Houston as an energetic, hard-working, risk-taking kind of town.

“To me, Dynamo has a blue-collar feel to it, as well as an association with the energy business, which is one of the things Houston is known for. We think this is a great name that greater Houston can rally around."


Let’s face it, Oliver: You had to go down to at least Plan C on this one. We can wink and nod all we want, the name’s not great. And you lost the $19.99 I was all ready to spend on my 1836 hat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home