Tuesday, January 31, 2006

"So, we're the what now?"

Team names, especially when it comes to the pros, can be pretty bland. Though every once in a while, you do get the odd ball.

On the one hand, you have the Giants (NY and SF), variations on Bears (Cubs and Grizzlies), and of course all the cats (Bengals, Tigers, Jaguars, Panthers, etc.). There also tend to be a lot of birds (Cardinals, Eagles, Thrashers, Falcons).

On the other hand, you have those select franchises that want to tread the unbeaten paths. You have your Lightning, Heat, Wild, Magic, and Avalanche. A team like the Dodgers is unusual, but there's a whole back story behind that, and it's been around so long, it's just accepted. And given these names, you have to try really hard to get original.

Well, you've gotta hand it to those crazy Texans. I mean, soccer team names can be kind of odd: United. FC. But Houston 1836? That's a new one for us Americans. Formerly the San Jose Earthquakes, the team moved to Houston this offseason and needed a new name, seeing as how earthquakes are pretty uncommon in Houston. After much debate, the team was named after the year Houston was founded. Now, there are German teams with a numbers in their names, but again, not here in the New World. Here's a pic of the logo.


I gotta say, though - I think it's a pretty cool name. Houston 1836. It's got a certain ring to it that Drew 1978 just doesn't have. I'd say that I just might have to add another jersey to my collection, or a hat, at the very least. But I gotta get my Galaxy kit first, and to be honest, I dunno if I wanna give any Texans the satisfaction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home