Sunday, November 13, 2005

Really Bad B.O.

Ya wanna know why movies aren't making the huge money this year? Ya wanna know why only a few certain blockbusters are bringin' in the huge box office that went to any number of crap movies over the past few years? 'Cause if ya wanna know, I'll tell ya.

Charlie and the Chocolate factory already came out on DVD. I didn't see this movie when it came out in theaters on 7/15. Musta been in theaters for about 2 months and I just never got around to seeing it. I was even interested. But for whatever reason, I didn't go.

Did I miss much? Some liked it. Some didn't. It was supposed to be odd. Tim Burton is usually a bit odd. And I usually like odd. So maybe I mighta missed something.

But it doesn't matter now.
I didn't have to pay $10 for it then. I don't plan on shelling out $16 at Best Buy for the movie I missed, that this time around comes with the making of featurette, director and cast commentary, deleted scenes and production materials. If I really want to, I might rent it for $6 at Blockbuster or something. And if I was on Netflicks, it'd probably be somewhere on my list to be included in my $18 monthly fee.

(On a side note, I was at Best Buy with my mom and sister a little while ago. They had about 5 movies in their hands: Monster in Law, Longest Yard, a couple of other bad movies. I asked them why they were thinking of buying them and they said they hadn't seen them when they came out and for $13, they could just buy them and maybe they'll like them.)

Don't know when I might get around to watching it, though. Between Fall TV season, hockey, the stuff my DVR picks up, and my X-Box and PS2, my entertainment time is spread out pretty thin. There's other stuff I wanted to see but didn't (anyone know when March of the Penguins is coming out on DVD?). And then there's the time I spend writing stuff like this.


Point is, much like the current internet trend, technology nowadays is all about "your" entertainment. Everything is all about you making your schedule, fitting things in whenever you want them.


Why the heck should I have to watch Lost at 9pm on Wednesdays? My DVR's got it. And you expect me to leave my house and be at the theater at 8:45? Why should I, especially if the movie's gonna be out on DVD 4 months after it opens in theaters? Does anybody else remeber when movies took over a year to come out on VHS? You had to see that sucker now or you'd almost never see it.


And dangit! Now there're Lego Vikings. How am I gonna fit those in?


5 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

My pet peeve is commercials before movies. Having paid money, I should now get an advertising free experience.

That and audience behavior is often appalling.

Mon Nov 14, 05:23:00 AM  
Blogger Chang Kim said...

I don't mind commercials unless they play after the listed start time.

The industry model has changed. Movies just don't make money after the first couple of months.

Mon Nov 14, 11:48:00 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

Out here they go on after the lights dim. I mean, you're all set to see Hotel Rwanda and some beeyotches are trying to sell you on Fanta. Most irksome.

Mon Nov 14, 02:05:00 PM  
Blogger Drewby said...

I know what you mean, Rob.

There's pre-movie silent local ads, "The 20," the Fandongo/Movies.com commercial, Will Rogers, the LA times, some frikin' Ford commercial, and then the "Quiet Please" promo that people ignore way too often. Half the time, I forget which movie I'm there to see.

And don't even get me started on product placement!

What, am I gonna get up and go buy it right then?

Mon Nov 14, 03:30:00 PM  
Blogger Russell said...

Nice Lego Vikings.

Sat Dec 03, 09:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home