Thursday, September 15, 2005

It was the best day...

So my alarm goes off at 10am Sunday. As usual, I walk blearlily toward my desk, cursing myself for leaving the alarm on while I could be sleeping blissfully until noon. But when I'm halfway on my way back to the warm and tender embrace of my bed, it hits me -- It's opening Sunday for the NFL!!!

By the time the remote's in my hand, I'm sitting at my computer looking up the day's schedule and all thoughts of sleep have vanished. And in their rooms come thronging soft and delicate thoughts, all prompting me how fair sweet football is.

Turn on the TV and who's on? My Miami Dolphins!! How perfect is that?? Sure, they're gonna get pounded by the Broncos, but... waaaait a minute! They win 34-10! Great way to start a Sunday! (Sorry Chang)

So then I kinda watch SD v Dallas (it seems SD is LA's team since the Raiders played Thursday), but my adrenaline rush has died down a bit so I'm sleepy again. Besides, I have to rest up for later that evening 'cause it's a time of year my cousin and I look forward to almost religiously: Endless Shrimp at Red Lobster!

We're seated at RL with his girlfriend by about 5:50 - 10 minutes before Colts v. Ravens. Again, just perfect. I take the chance and have some bread and salad before the Parade of Shrimp Death begins. My gamble pays off, because not only am I able to enjoy warm cheesy bread and the tangy sweetness of 1000 island dressing, but I'm able to single-handedly do my part to control what had been the dangerously swelling shrimp population.

While the Colts lay 3/4 of a beat down on the Ravens, my cousin and I lay waste to what must've been an entire school of shrimp, most of them of the scampi variety. By the time we're done, we've combined for 14 shrimp refills and are starting to feel the effects. I swear, my left eye had trouble staying focused and he was feeling a bit dizzy. Home in time for the 4th quarter, I nearly slipped into a shrimp coma, but Lisa was online and feelin' bad about her fantasy team. Commiserating with her was fun, especially as I had no such worries myself. (Yay!)

Her Indy D was impressive, but allowed a score in the final minute. I had hoped at the time that the score would do just enough damage to Lisa's D score to keep her from winning her fantasy game this week, thus revenging my loss from last year rather poetically. Alas, I fear my hopes may have been in vain. The only blight on an otherwise fun day.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chang Kim said...

How mean, rooting against Lisa.

My team was BRUTAL. Almost as bad as the Broncos. :)

Thu Sep 15, 01:40:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

You're so mean...

Thu Sep 15, 04:42:00 PM  
Blogger Drewby said...

Whatever, Lis. =)

You know I was only rooting against you for the last 2 minutes. And then the subsequent 24 hours....

In my defense, though - Poetic Justice!! I mean, how perfect would it have been?

Fri Sep 16, 08:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home