Monday, August 29, 2005

Never send a boy to do a man's job. Especially if he's a girl

It just goes to show you: Sometimes compulsion mixed with infinite patience sometimes pays off.

Twelfth Night was released today!!! Tuesday, 8/30 will be another date that lives in… something!!!

Of Shakespeare’s comedies, this ranks #2 for me. Much Ado is far and away the favourite, of course, but this narrowly beats out Taming of the Shrew. What can I say? I have a thing for cute, strong women who like a good fight. Anyway….

I’ve been looking for copy of this movie on DVD for the past 3 years, and seeing as how I have 3 DVD players and no VCR in my room, I’ve set up at least 4 E-Bay searches, hoping something would come up, and then cancelling them 6 months later because nothing ever did. Until just a while ago, the only 2 versions were either Region 4 encoded British copies, or were Region 1 with unremovable Chinese subtitles. But that’s all gonna change today.


For those of you who don’t know the play, it’s about a woman, Viola, who winds up shipwrecked in a strange country. Having lost her brother and everything else in the wreck, she decides to make her way by posing as a boy and serving the local Duke, Orsino. This Orsino chap happens to be in love with another woman, Olivia, who wants nothing to do with any man, including Orsino. Of course, he sends his “boy” to woo Olivia in his name, and, of course, Olivia falls for the unusual “boy.” All of this while, of course, Viola falls for the lovelorn Orsino.

I know, I know. If you see one more “Girl-meets-Boy-who-likes-other-girl-who- herself-falls-for-Girl-who’s-fallen-for-Boy” movie, you’re gonna puke, but I tell ya -- this one’s worth it. It’s an all Brit cast in a British production (hence the 9 year wait for the Region 1 DVD) of a really good play. Imogen Stubbs puts in a great perfomance as Viola – strong, funny, and a glimpse of vulnerability that reminds you that she’s supposed to be alone and living a lie. I’ve never seen her before, and I’ll most likely never see her in anything again, but in this, she’s money, Mr. Peepers. Helena Bonham Carter is fun as a confounded-but-in-charge Olivia. And Ben Kinglsey turns in his usual strong performance as one of Shakespeare’s clowns, who all know more than they should.

So if you haven’t heard a good accent recently, like cross dressing or cross garters, are in the mood for some subtle homosexual undertones, or if you need a little bit of greatness thrust upon you, this is your flick. Watch it, or do What You Will.

As a side note, I tried to get it at Best Buy today, but apparently they only carry it online. Guess I'm the only one who's been clamouring for this particular release. Guess I'll have to wait a little while longer.

7 Comments:

Blogger Chang Kim said...

You know what the inspiration was for Twelfth Night, right? Apparently Shakespeare was inspired by his real-life experiences with his muse to write Romeo and Juliet, and the queen enjoyed it and thought it presented love truthfully, but she found it depressing, so she asked him for a comedy next time, and the muse had to leave for the new world with her new husband, so he wrote about her ship wrecking, and tada! Twelfth Night.

Tue Aug 30, 11:40:00 PM  
Blogger Drewby said...

That's a great story! They should make a movie about that or something....

Wed Aug 31, 02:17:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have excellent taste - I am myself quite fond of Twelfth Night in general, this production in particular. Ben Kingsley does surprisingly well as a wise, watchful, bright-eyed fool. Wouldn't think it of Gandhi, would you?

Wed Aug 31, 07:38:00 AM  
Blogger Drewby said...

What, you think Gandhi couldn't tell a joke? =)

And while I appreciate the comment about my taste, has it's excellence ever really been in question?

I'm gonna go watch Down Periscope now.

Wed Aug 31, 09:57:00 AM  
Blogger Chang Kim said...

I feel like a dolphin who's never tasted melted snow. What does the color blue taste like? Bobo knows!

Wed Aug 31, 11:50:00 AM  
Blogger Drewby said...

You complete me.

Wed Aug 31, 01:14:00 PM  
Blogger Chang Kim said...

I know.

Thu Sep 01, 11:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home